Hunting, being one of the most exciting hobbies, is equally challenging and might prove dangerous if you are not well-prepared before you finally go for the adventure. For example, if you have decided to go for deer hunting, you have to dig deeper into “how to start hunting deer.”
Yes! Here are some simple steps to follow about hunting scope and how to start deer hunting:
Rules and Regulations for Dear Hunting
There is a lot of legislation going on these days on the licensing of hunting in specific areas and some particular animals. So, it would be best if you kept in mind the following:
- Get certified as a hunter from the authorities
- Get trained for the use of weapons
- Become a licensed hunter
- Educate yourself about the geographical limits where you can look for deer hunting
Choice of Weapon:
Then comes the use of weapons. Well! When you are hunting, you must be familiar with the appropriate deer hunting equipment as it will make your life easier and safer. It would help if you decided which weapon you would use, like Rifle, bow, and arrow, or a gun. In most cases, a rifle is recommended as it reaps the following advantages:
- You can successfully kill the target in one go.
- You can choose the best according to your age and preference.
- It is much safer as compared to other weapons.
As far as the selection of a rifle is concerned, you have to look deeper into it. The best way to go about it is to go to a Guns’ shop and try for yourself. The most used models of guns, however, are:
- Savage Trophy Hunter XP
- Winchester Model 70
- Ruger American Rifle
- Remington Model 700
- Weatherby Vanguard
Another important thing you should consider is the cartridge and caliber of the gun you will purchase. Since it is a risky business without prior information about the specifications of the guns, it is highly recommended to collect some background information and try and shoot a particular weapon before buying it. Since the recoil strength and the cartridge may be different for different people, you must decide. Here are some commonly preferred calibers of rifles for deer hunting.
- .270 Winchester
- .308 Winchester
- .30-30 Winchester
- .30-06 Springfield
- 7mm Remington Magnum
Dressing up and the equipment:
Well! Depending upon the hunting scope, you will prepare yourself for the adventure. You are going for deer hunting, and you can have dress up according to the environment of woods and forests.
- You will be wearing a hat and vest all the time in the woods as it may save your life.
- Depending upon the weather, warm clothing, including gloves and jacket
- A proper ammunition box or case to keep extra bullets etc.
- Rubber gloves
- A sharp knife of reasonable size to field dress the deer.
- The certifications and permit documentation
- A Zip0lock bag or zip tie
- A flashlight to see in the dark
Making your ground:
Now when you have reached your destination, you need to assess the surroundings. It depends on how you want to approach the project.
- If you are a first-timer, you should do it standing on the ground but if you prefer to go on a higher level like on some stand or some tree, always be careful as you should be able to climb it along with your weapon and all your gears.
- The cost of hunting adventure may increase if you go for the tripod stand.
- Choose the place from where deer are mostly expected to pass by.
- If you are not good at taking long shots, you should not pick up an open field. Instead, you should pick up a spot in hardwoods so that you can take your target down in a single small shot.
- You can even take along the things to attract the deer near your pre-decided spot.
Choosing the right time:
Timing is the most crucial thing in hunting, especially if you are new to hunting deer. You have to careful and choose the time very intelligently. If you choose the wrong time, all your effort will go down the drain.
It is mostly accepted that deer hunting is most successful during the later 3 hours of the daylight, especially the last 30 minutes before the sunset is the best time to go and try your luck in the woods.
Taking the shot:
Once everything else is ready, and you are in the proper position to take the shot,
- Wait for your target.
- As soon as the deer comes into your sight, make sure you can see him from head to tail from your barrel.
- Get yourself ready and shoot.
- Give the animal some time to run and expire at its own pace, but you shouldn’t forget to track his movement in the next 30 minutes or so.
- If you will at once go and chase the deer, it will panic, and the rise in adrenaline in its bloodstream would bring a bad taste when you cook.
Follow the rules for tagging the animal while you are field dressing it. There are specific requirements by the concerned authorities regarding the procedure. Similarly, there are prescribed methods of field dressing the deer in different areas. You better get the relevant information about it.
So, this is how to start hunting deer. It has a different hunting scope, requirements, and methods of doing it. However, once you get familiar with the process, you will surely enjoy the activity. It requires a lot of patience and courage to go in the face of courage as forests are where many other wild animals are also found. But then again, if you have the passion, you can achieve anything.